Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl

Ok. So my children have decided that 5:30 AM is an acceptable hour of the day to wake up. This is just not so.... regardless... They have been doing it for a couple weeks now. Despite my best efforts, hanging blankets over windows, keeping them up 2 hours past bed time, tiring them out at the park, the pool and in the backyard. Nothing seems to work, in fact, they are getting up EARLIER! 

So this morning I decided instead of laying in bed and crying like a little girl that my kids made me get up so early. I decided to get my bottom out of bed, shower... and make a hot breakfast for my stud. He is spoiled at work, and they provide shakes there so I never really feel the "need" to get out of bed and make breakfast. However, I often feel guilty about not being more present when he gets ready for work. My kids used to sleep until 8 or 8:30, and so did I. Clark would kiss me goodbye as I continued to slumber in my bed, not ready to get up for another hour or so. I did feel guilty about this often, so I guess my kids are trying to give me the head start I need. Over the last year they have gone from waking up at 8/8:30 to, 7:30, then 7, then 6:30, and so on, that brings us to this morning... a bright and early start to the day at a whopping 5:15 AM. WHAT GIVES? (If any of you have tips on how to end this trend... that would be super). 

I suppose my body is getting used to getting up in the 5 o'clock hour, because this morning I was pretty much already awake when I heard the little nugget crawl out of bed. I decided I should just get up (after I snuggled her for a few minutes... Ok... 30 minutes). So I hopped in the shower while she got some good daddy snuggles. 

I decided since I was up and basically ready, I would try being a good wife and cooking up my husband a good old fashioned hot breakfast. I didn't want to just slap some pancakes on a plate and hope it was a "good" breakfast. I wanted to give him good food that would fuel him for his day, and give him the healthy start to the day he needed. 

I have seen a lot of sweet potato dishes lately, and It just sounded super good this morning. So I decided to whip up a Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl for him. And, then I ate some as well... and decided that I needed to share this dish with all the world, because it instantly became my favorite breakfast... of ever. 





Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl


Ingredients:

  • 1 Medium-Large Sweet Potato
  • 1 Apple
  • Bacon (5-6 slices)
  • 3-4 Handfuls of Kale
  • Cinnamon 
  • Water


Directions:

Chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes, and place in a skillet on high heat with just enough water to prevent the sweet potato from sticking/burning to the pan (about 2-3 TBS)
Add the 1 apple, also chopped into small cubes, mix into the sweet potatoes.
Toss in some chopped Kale (About 3-4 handfuls)
Add another splash of water and mix well.
Place a lid over the pan and let "steam" for a few minutes.
Remove lid and mix again. Now add some chopped bacon (5-6 slices chopped into bite sized pieces)
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the mixture and stir well, I added about 1 TBS.
Stir well making sure the Bacon gets cooked.
Put the lid back on and let simmer again, stirring occasionally until the kale begins to turn crispy and the sweet potato begins to brown. 

I know these directions aren't exactly Martha Stewart worthy, but I am telling you right now, this is too good not to share! I'm like 110% sure we will be having it for breakfast again tomorrow!

Enjoy!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kelsie Lou. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig