Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Sunny Playroom

When we looked at this house, we were at the stage of knowing we weren't going to find what we wanted... and we had settled into the idea of buying a "fixer upper". Mind you, this house was in great condition, it wouldn't really qualify as what most people would say a "fixer upper" was. It just was NOT what we wanted, but nothing in the area really was... but this house had the right "bones". The layout was fantastic, and the yard was huge and incredible! Right away we saw a LOT of potential for this home and we knew we could "fix it up" to be more what we had in mind. It was well under what we had originally planned on spending, and we had put away money for upgrades in the first house we were going to buy. So we knew we at least had a pretty good head start with fixing this place up.

This home, as is common in the area, has/had a sunroom. I am not really one to just go sit in a room just for the sheer fact that the room was meant to be "sat" in. The sunroom was RIGHT off the kitchen. Instantly I dubbed that room the play room, before we even put an offer on the house. It was perfect. The kids would be super close to me while I was cooking or cleaning, or pretty much anything. We had looked at a lot of homes that had the bonus room upstairs (above the garage) which would be awesome too, but I really like to have my kids (especially when they are young like this) really close to me.

One of the first things we did was painted the room a brighter, less masculine color. The next step was to replace the floor. The sunroom had a typical red sunroom tiled floor, and it was ugly... old... and just gross. We replaced the floor with a super nice laminate from Home Depot (I will be posting all about why I chose this floor and how we installed it ourselves very soon). The floor is pretty indestructible. The kids can drop toys, sippy cups, etc... and the floor is pretty unfazed. Not to mention how insanely easy it is to clean. To say I am in love with this floor is an understatement.

I can honestly say I am not completely settled with the decor in this play room... and I have a few ideas, but haven't settled on anything just yet. But here are the pictures of our current, warm and bright play room for our sweet little girls.

Here is the before:




Here is the after:


The sunlight that breaks into this room just brings more joy than my body can handle sometimes! 



Seriously... Look at that sunlight! I'm going to burst!





These pictures were not over exposed... there is just SO much light in here my camera almost didn't know what to do!




And is this floor not TOTALLY gorgeous!?


I'm smitten...







This is their reading tent where they snuggle up to Mr. Bear with books galore!


Every Toy room needs one of these...


Seriously! There is no rule that says you cannot regulate some of your children toys...


In fact... I find it helps me keep my sanity to organize the toys accordingly. On the very top shelf is where the arts and crafts and "messy" toys are. Aka.. bubbles.
The next shelf is also "messy", but not as bad - like puzzles, toys that need to be taken outside, chalk, balls, etc.
The next shelf is one they can reach easily. Their babies, barbies, purses, legos, etc...
and the bottom shelf is the "baby" shelf. These are were the little little kid toys are. For crawlers and toddlers. Lots of Melissa and Doug love there.


And what is a play room without their favorite stuffed animals.


I am ALL about storage and organization. But who says it can't be totally adorable. Thank you T.J. Maxx for these super cute baskets. Each basket is filled with specific toys and my kids (generally) know where they go. One is full of just princess figurines. One is full of hexicus pieces, the next is their "random" toys basket. There are two more rows of toys and books and baskets under here as well, all organized and separated. A basket for play food, a basket for the doll house toys, etc...

Like I said, I do not feel "completed" in this room yet and I am "toying" with a few ideas (see what I did there). 

But I can tell you this, we are LOVING this warm sunroom turned play room!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kelsie Lou. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig