Monday, April 4, 2016

How to keep the General Conference "high"




If you are anything like me, you DREAD the day after the LDS General Conference ends. Like the woman in the scriptures, who knew she could be healed by just touching the hem of His garments, we too can reach out, and receive the blessings we are seeking by simply having faith in HIM!

The feelings that I get during General Conference are so peaceful and hopeful and promising. I don't ever want to let go of that feeling of assurance and comfort that comes from having my home filled with the voices of the disciples of Jesus Christ.

I love the song "Love is Spoken Here", and the verse the boys are written to sing "Mine is a home, where every hour, is blessed by the strength of Priesthood Power." I strive each and every day to ensure that our home is filled with the spirit of the Lord "every hour".

So once the final benediction is given, the conference center is emptied out, the televisions are turned off, radios return to their regular pop culture programming, and the world begins to spin again on its axis called "reality"... what then are we to do to feel that conference "high" for the next 6 months until we are blessed again with the gift we call General Conference?

Here are some of my favorite things to do to keep that feeling in our home:

1. Podcasts: The first thing I do is make sure I have the most current General Conference downloaded onto my phone. There is Podcast (you can download the "podcast app on your phone, tablet, or laptop) called "General Conference | MP3 | English"


I make it a point to listen EVERY day to this podcast. It is the entire conference in different "episodes" so you can pick whichever you want. It has all the music and everything. I absolutely love it. Even if I am not able to tune in as closely as I would like sometimes (kids... ) I just love having the voices of the prophet and apostles fill my home. While I clean, cook, do laundry, etc. I choose this podcast over the radio or other media about 90% of the time. I can honestly tell you my patience in those days is substantially higher, and our home feels more peaceful. My children are not unaware of the presence either, and on the occasion they will surprise me with a question about something they heard while I was listening.

2. Read your notes often: I like to sit with a paper copy of one or two conference talks each week taking more notes, and reviewing the notes that I had written at the time of the broadcast. The inspiration you can receive is NEVER limited to one time. Just like reading the scriptures, you will get something new each time you prayerfully study.

3. Act: Elder Bednar says it time and time again, do not sit and wait for the miracles to happen, you must ACT in order to see the desired results and blessings you are seeking. Make a list of the things that stood out to you to improve on during conference. This can be a list that you place for the entire family, or one just for yourself... or both. During your family home evenings, and family councils, discuss ways you can achieve these goals you have set. If you write them down you are more likely to hold yourself accountable.

4. Meditate: I have recently become a huge advocate for meditation. My favorite time to meditate is during nap/quite time. When I know I can be "left alone" and have the peaceful quiet that I personally need for mediation. There are so many ways to meditate. Some people love yoga, journaling, music, prayer, perfect quiet. Whatever it is that works for you, just do it!! A few hours each week of personal reflection and meditation is a really fantastic way to invite the Spirit to be with you.

5. Watch your Media: I cannot tell you just how quickly you can drive that thick - cut with a knife - spiritual air in your home out when you immediately switch from conference to the television, movies, music, video games, etc. Especially those that are high in foul language, sexual content, crude humor, etc... We choose to leave the tv off, or to let the BYU channel play. I prefer to just turn it off, and spend time as a family. If you turn it off, and just let the spirit continue to work in you, you will continue to receive revelation, and your family will feel more inclined to discuss what they have just learned. This is one of my favorite parts about conference.

There are so many ways to invite this spirit to stay. Life does tend to get crazy, and we can lose the steam and ambition we felt as we heart those inspiring words. But all is not lost, you can always get that feeling back, not just in April and October. I highly encourage you to download the General Conference podcast! As well as other LDS sponsored podcasts. A few of my favorites are: Gospel Solutions for Families, Relief Society, Conversations - A Mormon Channel Original, and of course The General Conference MP3. I also LOVE the LDS station on Pandorad.

I am so grateful for the GOOD that technology can do for us, and the many ways it can invite us to come closer to our Savior. The world is busy and would have us completely forget about the importance of staying close to the spirit, and to stand in holy places "at all times, in all things, and in all places".

Join me for the next 6 months in waiting for the new revelations and inspiring words of General Conference by listening and studying the words we were just given.

This picture is so powerful to me. Christ is with us today, He is not just a story, or a "Prophet of Old". He is the Son of God, our Savior, our Redeemer - and our Brother.







I know my Savior lives. I know He loves me, I know He loves you. I am so grateful for His patience and love, His tenderness and His mercy. I am speechless when I think of the sacrifice He made for me when He atoned for my sins, and was crucified for my salvation. I love Him, deeply, and I have promised that I will do all I can to show Him my gratitude through my life.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kelsie Lou. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig